Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Difference a Letter Makes

If you haven't been watching The Guild, Felicia Day's brilliant web series about MMORP gamers, now's a good time to start. Currently midway through its third season, The Guild is fresh, funny, and incredibly addictive. Seriously - go watch it now. Stop living under the rock we call mainstream America.

Today's recommendation is a fan video loosely "inspired" by The Guild. There are just a few small differences. For starters, notice the absent "u."



Hello, Crazy McCrazerton - it's me, Peeps. I have to say, I go back and forth on this one. Sometimes I think it's a brilliant commentary on The Guild, shining the harsh light of reality on the lives of adult gamers, which Felicia Day's show glamorizes and celebrates. Other times, I think this woman is whacked out on hallucinogenic drugs.

I mean, WHAT?

I love the pink heart transition effect. I love that this woman drinks from a Stein before launching into her incoherent string of gaming acronyms, meant to relay an in-game occurrence (not to worry - she features a helpful glossary at the end). I love her implied insistence that her random personal mishap will be of interest to other people - an assumption that all internet endeavors (this blog included) make. I love that she tricked the YouTube algorithm by titling her video something so close to an actual internet phenomenon. I love the phrase "emerald dream."

All that said, I hate this video. I can laugh at it for the above reasons, sure, but unlike The Guild, this video makes it hard to ignore that I'm laughing at someone's real life. And irl, it's sad. Sorry YouTube - you got tricked. And therefore, so did I.

No comments:

Post a Comment