Thursday, October 8, 2009

Video Snacking = Soul Searching ?

The concept is simple; the possibilities are infinite. Each post, I'll feature one video from that alarmingly apt section of my YouTube homepage, generously titled "Recommended for You."

Seriously - I don't know what the algorithm is, and I don't much care for the programming specifics. But with each solipsistic post, I'll try to figure out why in the world YouTube might have recommended whatever it is they're recommending this time. For example, I'll start with something easy:




I can imagine two obvious reasons why this was recommended. First of all, I love Disney movies. Sorry. Just the other day, I watched "Vanessa's Song," "I Can Go the Distance," and "Belle - Reprise" all in the same day. CLEARLY YouTube can't go wrong recommending another song from Beauty and The Beast. And if that's not enough, just yesterday I found myself watching "My Heart Will Go On" for the first time in many years. And I'll admit it: I even cried a little. So, while I don't like this video nearly as much as the film's original version, I appreciate this admirable effort on YouTube's part. I can see where you're coming from, YouTube.

You get the idea.

Aided by tangents, less obvious selections, and the inherent, ironic entertainment proffered by ninety percent of the videos on YouTube, I (and whoever else might happen to be reading this) will hopefully come to a deeper understanding and appreciation of my own tastes, as reflected by an algorithm. Because who knows, maybe YouTube knows me better than I even know myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment