Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Evolving Market Strategies

When I spent time with my extended family in July, I was forced to watch episodes of Family Guy for the first time in a long while. I laughed once, maybe twice, but everyone else was in hysterics. I realized how inaccessible and obscure my sense of humor can be.

I have since watched some of the Most Viewed Family Guy clips on YouTube in hopes that I might find the place where my sense of humor and the norm intersect. And, while this recommendation draws its humor more from the juxtaposition of Wall Street and Family Guy than from the cartoon itself, at least I've finally found a use of Family Guy that cracks me up:



Superb editing is arguably the star of this apt mash-up, but what I find even more interesting is that it's an advertisement. Yes, you'll notice if you follow this video to YouTube that it was posted by the official Fox channel, "Foxabulous." Clearly, a smart team of marketers asked, "what are people watching on YouTube?" and answered "mash-ups and fake movie trailers." Just look at Shining or The Empire Brokeback.

Now, it's not unheard of for undisguised commercials to get lots of views on YouTube, provided they are funny. I almost featured an Axe commercial tonight that was absolutely terrifying but somehow quite popular. What I like about this video, though, is that a style popularized by YouTube became a made-for-YouTube advertisement, and it worked. I mean, an ad for a Wall Street anniversary DVD having over ten million views? I also like the simple yet effective combination of Stewie + "bitch."

What I don't like is that my personal recommendations are just another venue for product placement. It feels like the moment I realized Yahoo! driving directions were taking me out of my way to go by their sponsor locations. In a word: manipulated.

There's a fine line between "recommending" and "selling," and to me it seems to hinge on the level of consideration for the audience's interests. So which is this? A funny video or an ad? Is there even a distinction worth making?

1 comment:

  1. Not only are you missing all of the FEED references/possibilities, you're totally overlooking the fact that you aren't "missing" what your family "gets," you're too smart to fall for it. EW to Family Guy. Two hoorays for Wall Street.

    ReplyDelete